Featured Post

Is the new professionalism and ACP's new ethics really just about following guidelines?

The Charter ( Medical Professionalism in the New Millennium.A Physician's Charter) did not deal with just the important relationship of ...

Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Are physicians losing their sense of ownership of their patient's care

Are physicians losing thier sense of owndership of their patients care? I believe so. Physicans' language demonstated their care or commtment to their patient as least when I trained and when I was in private practice. We would say to a consultant Could you see MY patient. or I saw YOUR PATIENT today.The language spoke of their commitment. In the corporatized medical setting in which I was treated last year physicians did not personally refer me to another physician.Rather they entered a order into the EHR and then required me to call and make an appointment. When I was in private practice in a large sub speciliaty internal medicine group, I would call an collegue about a referal or my nurse would contact the physcian's nurse and either way the urgency or lack thereof was transmitted and what took me six weeks to see the next physician in this new world of effecient corporatized medicine would have takeen 2 or 3 days at the most. Further I would be anxious to learn of the consutant's views which would typically be expressd in a phone call or a coffee room conversation.The Gi docs would wanted a ENT consult for me had no sense of when if ever a consultation reort would be available. Out of sight out of mind. No sense of personal ownership was there.Since perhaps with that ownership there may have also been a pride of owndership that is lost in the new medical world where suits dictate efficiency.

No comments: